Saturday, July 6, 2013

Tennessee Is Dropping Standards Information and Freebie

         



          This will be the last year students will be taking the TCAP in Tennessee. To prepare for Common Core and the new PARC test Tennessee has dropped standards in both math and reading. The list of dropped ELA standards for grades K-12 can be found here. I needed a checklist for both fifth and sixth grade ELA in order to make sure I have taught all the standards my students would see on the TCAP. I created a no frills checklist for both grades.  Click here for the fifth grade checklist and here   for the sixth grade checklist. 


       Tennessee has also indicated three instructional shifts for the 2013-2014 school year. 

The three instructional shifts for ELA are:

1. Building knowledge through content-rich nonfiction
2. Reading, writing and speaking grounded in evidence from text, both literary and informational

3. Regular practice with complex text and its academic language

      I know many of us have already started using more complex texts and requiring evidence from our students in class. I would love to hear how everyone is doing this in their classrooms.